Figured I would give a few of my takeaways from the first two days (remember everyone is still in shirts and helmets, no real hitting going on and this is VERY early).
- Eli Russ and Boaz both got a lot of reps at center with the "ones." Sumrall explicitly said every player on the line will get some burn at center in the spring (similar to last year).
- Asa Martin looks VERY smooth.
- Defensive backs have been very active and I personally saw three pick sixes today during 11-on-11 drills. Bracy (Iowa safety) has worked primarily with safeties during the sessions I've seen. Keyshawn Swanson made a ton of plays on Tuesday and Thursday.
- All the QBs (for the most part) look solid. Gunnar seems to be a bit lighter on his feet, how much of that is because they aren't in pads yet, IDK, but coaches said he's definitely faster and stronger. Goose had a 30-yard run today (again, in shorts and helmet remember that).
- Raymond Cutts is going to be a monster. He's bigger than Jibunor and is already getting reps with the ones. He told me today he's working solely as a defensive end right now. Solomon is wearing No. 6, not sure how significant that is. The thought of a formation with he, Cutts and Jibunor on the field at the same time is terrifying.
- If you molded a prototypical inside linebacker they would come out looking like Steve Cattledge. He's getting plenty of reps with the ones already and looks REALLY fast. Jayden McDonald still isn't practicing (knee) but he and Cattledge could be a formidable duo inside.
- Jabre Barber looks good and to be 100 percent at this point. He's without question the biggest weapon at receiver right now. Landon Parker is much, much bigger than I expected him to be and looks polished. Chris Lewis gives me RaJae vibes, I definitely could see him filling that role this season.
- If you look at the roster you will notice there is no punter listed. That isn't a typo. Landon Parker is punting right now (and looks good) but there will be at least one (probably two) added after the spring.